Friday, May 16, 2008

the tao of fertility


I'm definitely a fan of trying alternative or holistic medicine. Earlier this week I was trying to convince my OB to write me a prescription for acupuncture to see if it could make a dent on this nausea. Which is horrid, by the way. Truly, truly horrid. But that is the subject for another post.

When Parent Bloggers asked if I'd like to review The Tao of Fertility, I jumped at the opportunity because I figured that Josh and I would start "trying" for a second child in the next 6 months or so, and everything helps. I'm a big fan of acquiring as much information as possible, and I've heard wonder stories about Chinese medicine, so I was fascinated to learn more.

Truthfully, though, I can't speak much to the validity of the methods in the book because before I'd finished the first chapter, I found out I was pregnant. I can, however, confirm that having the book in your house helps you get pregnant, so I'm happy to send the book along to anyone interested in having a good luck charm.

I did find the book interesting and informative, however. I don't know much about Chinese medicine, and although I've heard about its success with infertility, I haven't heard details. The Tao of Fertility assumes no prior knowledge, and lays out fertility advice in a straightforward, clear, and logical way. Dr. Daoshing Ni encourages readers to make serious changes in their lives, from diet and nutrition, to herbs, acupuncture and exercise, and even examining your readiness toward having a child. He discusses his methods in relation to Western medicine, and even provides a 28 day plan for readers to follow.

If you are at all interested in undertaking an alternative approach to fertility, or you'd like to try something before embarking on fertility treatments, I would definitely recommend The Tao of Fertility. Dr. Daoshing Ni keeps the book interesting with his clear tone, and touching vignettes sprinkled throughout.

As I mentioned, I'm happy to forward the book along to a worthy recipient. Email me if you're interested, and if I get more than one request, I'll draw names out of a hat. For more information, check out Parent Bloggers or Amazon to order.

No comments: